“Such has been Maron’s success with his WTF podcast – arguably the progenitor of the entire comedy confessional podcast industry – that it’s sometimes easy to forget that his actual day job is as a stand-up comic.”
“He blends his material in seamlessly with improvisation with the crowd. So this feels like an event. And his solipsistic selfishness starts to feel all too much like our own… He’s joking. He’s not joking. He’s a fascinating comedian”
It was announced today (23rd July 2015) that MARC MARON will make a rare trip across the Atlantic this September to perform three nights of his critically acclaimed new Maronation Tour stand-up show. MARON is probably best known in the UK for his globally chart-topping podcast WTF, which this month made headlines around the world for his insightful, unguarded interview (as ever, in MARON’s garage) with PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA – who followed in the footsteps countless stellar WTF luminaries including: CONAN O’BRIEN, LOUIS CK, ROBIN WILLIAMS, ANTHONY BOURDAIN, JUDD APATOW, MICK JAGGER and BEN STILLER. His hit TV show Maron (currently in its third series on IFC in the USA), which MARON writes, produces and sometimes directs, also airs in the UK on Fox, with The Guardian calling it, “sufficiently hilarious.”
An elder statesman of the USA stand-up community, MARON has appeared on countless television talk shows, including, David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Bill Maher, and on Conan O’Brien, specifically, more than any other comedian. Recently MARON penned a collection of essays titled Attempting Normal, released by Spiegel and Grau, which went on to make The New York Times’ Best Seller list. His audio album, This Has To Be Funny (Comedy Central Records), was named #1 Comedy Album of 2011 by LaughSpin.com and The AV Club as one of the Best Comedy Albums of 2011.
TIME Magazine have previously included MARON in their annual short list of the 100 Most Influential People and he was nominated for two Comedy Central Comedy Awards: Best Comedy Podcast and Best Comedy App. WTF is now averaging 5 million downloads each month; regularly hitting #1 on the iTunes charts; has been named the #1 Comedy Podcast by LA Weekly and The AV Club; and is deemed as a “must’listen” by Vanity Fair and The New York Times.
September 2nd at Dublin’s Vicar Street and September 3rd & 4th at London’s Southbank Centre (See Tickets and Ticketmaster presale Thursday 23rd with general sale Friday 24th July)
Other things the UK press have said about Marc Maron:
“if you like your comedy with a Woody Allen-ish neurotic streak he is the man. Maron’s despair about his dysfunctional relations and relationships is hilarious.”
The Evening Standard
“a brilliant podcast… something close to required listening among comedy nerds and show-business powerbrokers alike… But this success story has done little to blunt either Maron’s natural melancholia, or the remarkable intensity”
For further information contact: Dan Lloyd at Avalon on 020 7598 7222 / email@example.com
Notes to editors:
– WTF has become a worldwide smash-hit with select WTF episodes airing on public radio stations across the USA from June 2010. The President Barack Obama episode – where MARON discussed the challenges of fatherhood, who makes the President laugh, and the daily political landscape – has seen over 2.5 million downloads to date.
– Maron, the critically acclaimed half-hour scripted TV series, is now airing its third season on Thursday’s at 10pm on IFC. The show was created, written, and produced by MARON, who also directed episodes in seasons 2 and 3. The first and second seasons of Maron can now be found on Netflix to stream.
– Coming soon, MARC MARON will be launching a show for the new VICE TV network called VICE Portraits, where he will interview notable people in environments that are important or challenging to them. Cameras will follow MARON on his journey to and from the interviews capturing his unique preparation and post conversation reflections.
– MARC MARON’S first book, The Jerusalem Syndrome: My Life as a Reluctant Messiah, was based on his solo show and is still available for purchase on Amazon.com.
– MARC MARON’S first three CDs, Not Sold Out, Tickets Still Available and Final Engagement are widely viewed as comedy cult classics.
– In 2011, MARON was given the honour of delivering the Keynote Address at the Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal.
– MARC MARON released his newest special, Thinky Pain, on Netflix in 2013 and as an album in 2014.
– MARC MARON travels the world performing sold-out, stand-up shows, as well as live WTF stage shows.
– MARC MARON currently resides in Los Angeles.